Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some common questions about the Masters of Data Science at the University of Missouri:
What are admission requirements?
A letter of interest is required along with a copy of your transcript.
Does this program qualify for financial aid?
What are the deadlines for admission?
Can I change interest areas after I’m accepted?
What is the MU Informatics Institute?
How does learning actually work?
- Students are actively engaged as a cohort with instructors.
- Courses integrate JupyterHub with Canvas GitHub
- All Code is by example, so you are never left to figure it out yourself.
- Many interesting data sets, and an open door to bring your own.
How are you going to squeeze 34 credits into two years?
- Courses are staggered in 8 week chunks over the semester, so you are never in more than two courses at a time.
- The courses are designed to work together. So, what you learn in one course is built on in the next.
- Having a cohort based program gives students peer support during the program period, which is demonstrated to lower stress and increase learning.
What kinds of technology does a student need to own?
- The main requirement is a good internet connection.
- Most of the software used in the program is hosted at the University of Missouri.
When is the executive session on campus?
The executive session on campus will be held in Mid-April each year.
Is attendance at the executive session on campus required?
When do we need to arrive?
Students must arrive at the hotel by Sunday afternoon to participate in a meet and greet that evening.
Where does executive week take place?
Are accommodations and meals provided?
Are students responsible for their own travel expenses?
Students are responsible for their own travel to Columbia, Missouri.
Will students have free time?
Minimal free time is provided as the days are packed with seminars and activities. If a student wishes to say for a longer visit they will be responsible for their own expenses.
Can my dietary needs be accommodated?
Program staff will do their best to accommodate dietary concerns, however please notify us in advance of any special requirements.
What will an average day be like?
Each day students have a power-packed day of instructions, data labs team activities and presentations. The evenings are filled with casual dinners, breakout sessions and a final formal evening.