Data Journalism & Strategic Communication Program Overview
Journalism is an evolving discipline that is increasingly leveraging the skills and tools of data scientists.
Students emphasizing data journalism in their studies will focus on the acquisition, cleaning and vetting of public data sources and the construction of visualizations and infographics aimed at storytelling. Strategic communication students will integrate consumer data and data presentation strategies to ethically use data science for public influence. Additionally, students will develop in-depth knowledge of core program objectives and the ability to fulfill diverse data responsibilities.
Graduates of the Masters of Science in Data Science and Analytics who pursue the Strategic Communication and Data Journalism emphasis area will achieve the following educational objectives:
- Students will have in-depth capabilities and understanding of big data management, including gathering and interpreting customer and viewer behavior patterns and developing strategies to enhance marketing objectives for organizations and clients.
- Students will have highly marketable skills in analyzing media markets and will be able to develop sophisticated methodologies to optimize the usage of apps, social networks, and other technologies for media businesses and brands.
- Students will be able to apply their analytic skills to understanding and optimizing patterns of search, programmatic advertising buying, and behavioral targeting.
- Students will have a deep understanding of issues of privacy and ethics in obtaining and utilizing data from a broad range of sources.
- Students will be able to obtain and analyze publicly available data in a variety of structured and unstructured formats. As such, they will develop an understanding of open-records laws and how to effectively use them.
- Students will develop the skills necessary to work as a data journalist for a news organization.
- As data journalism and data science /analytics are constantly evolving, students will develop strategies that enable them to continue to learn on the job.
- Students will develop an understanding of their audiences and how to best communicate with them
Data Journalism & Strategic Communication Faculty
140G Walter Williams Hall
Sample Course Path for MS Online
Students move through 8-week modules completing core courses and then progressing through emphasis area courses directly applicable to their area of study.